Wednesday, September 7, 2011

James Perse sample sale, Chelsea

So here I am in France with maybe 20% of my clothes and 10% of my shoes. I have to say it's been a lot of fun (so far) living here, and there are lots of things I have totally embraced-- the 3x a week farmer's market with the absolute best fruit, drinking all the time, and living a little more simply. But maybe they do it too simply... did you know the French take siestas!?! No joke, most stores are closed from noon-2PM (something a New Yorker found outrageously frustrating). Given that they open at 9AM, or even 10, and close at 5:30, it gives new meaning to the term "banker's hours".

One one hand, I am getting a seriously good education (or so I hope) and meeting lots of great people. On the other hand, I miss having time to do online shopping, blogging (!), and participate in things like Fashion's Night Out. I'm missing the my favorite sample sale and the Mercedes Benz Fashion Week and Derek Lam is there. Just typing that makes me want to bang my head against a wall.

I'm trying to figure out this whole shopping-in-France thing. For one, everything is just more expensive. Really, given how affordable everything is in the US, I'd hate Americans too. Monoprix, which I liken to Target-level clothes, sells tops at 40-90€ ($56-126 USD), which I am just not used to. I can make $125 go a long way in New York! I guess I'm totally spoiled, because walking around, I think to myself, I can get Burberry pants for 200€ back home rather than some random boutique brand. So needless to say, I am not doing much shopping here. YOOX.com for the US is infinitesimally better for Americans too, which makes me scratch my head. After all, most of those goods are European labels, so how is it cheaper for goods made here to sell there? So what I've learned: if you live in the US, don't feel guilty about buying. Lots. :) I am definitely shopping online and sending things to New York, for my hubby to bring in October.

This brings me to what I'm missing now: the James Perse sample sale in Chelsea Market. I really wish I was there to stock up on cold weather tops :(

What: James Perse sample sale, Chelsea Market
Where: Chelsea Market, 75 9th Ave
When: Friday, Sep 16 - Sunday, Sep 18; times unknown

Not sure when I will post again. I'm trying to see if there's anything to be learned about sample sales in Paris. I hear they do exist-- fingers crossed!

2 comments:

  1. Ha, you can take a girl out of New York but not New York out of the girl. Thanks for posting this, best of luck with everything!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh how true that is!!! Do you know manicures cost 30 euro here?! I'm SO glad I brought my collection of Chanel polishes with me, and I'm mailing Deborah Lippman ones home to my husband to tote over (glitter makes f-ing up more ok). The plus side is that I'm getting pretty good at doing my own nails. The down side is I'm paying a hefty tuition for the privilege :P

    I miss NYC!

    ReplyDelete

Please no profanity or spam :). I monitor CLOSELY and all spam WILL BE DELETED.