Tuesday, June 2, 2009

My OCD life, FootPetals.com 20% off

As some may have noticed, I am slightly Type-A/OCD when it comes to certain things. I do buy lots of expensive shoes, but I have a healthy respect for the quality and craftsmanship, and use-and-abuse is not my style. Even a $50 pair of Louboutin espadrilles from the Barney's Warehouse sale will live out its life safely boxed and dust-free.

One of my favorite shoe-preservation tricks is clear Foot Petals Sole Stopperz, and I literally buy these by the dozen (you get 2 pairs/package). They may be marketed as no-slip tools, but the true value is protection from wearing away the leather sole of your nice expensive heels. If I'm feeling particularly neurotic, or protecting a pair of flats, I'll even trace the toe or heel of my shoe onto the sticker and make a little bonus protectors. (See? I am crazy. And I tend to scrape those areas up a lot.)

It works best on leather-bottomed shoes, like Manolos, Louboutins, YSLs, etc., and ideally they should be new and clean before you apply the sole sticker. Of course, you don't always have these on hand for every good shoe score, and if your shoes are worn, just clean the sole with a damp paper towel and allow to dry thoroughly (sometimes half a day, it is leather after all) before applying the sticker. I also spend a few minutes mashing the sticker down with my fingers or actually standing in them on a flat surface. Do not use these on shoes with a rubberized bottom, like your pink-soled Pradas, because the stickers will slide off and you will be left with a sticky gunky mess that will look disgusting after walking around. (Trust me)

I know some people are big advocates of having a cobbler seal the sole with vibram (rubber), but I just don't like the look of it at all, and I think this is a good, albeit not waterproof, alternative. (Bonus: it will prolong the red of your Louboutins) If you really need traction/non-slip, you should get the black version of the Sole Stopperz-- they work better despite being more noticeable.

With my most recent order, they gave me a free pair of horrendous mint Sexy Socklettes, which are like 80's semi-leggings made out of Muppets, and a code for 20% off: "FPVIP2009". Expires Dec 31. Let the shoe sales continue!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please no profanity or spam :). I monitor CLOSELY and all spam WILL BE DELETED.