Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Frette sample sale report

This afternoon I took an extended off-campus lunch and ventured to the Frette Sample Sale. This is probably the 3rd time I've been -- I always stock up on my towels during this fabulous semi-annual sale.

Today was the 2nd day of the sale, and already certain things are starting to get sparse. If you are looking for bedding, you better hurry. I saw women piling massive amounts of sheets and pillowcases into shopping bags. One woman filled 8 bags with purchases! She couldn't even take it all in one car-load. Blankets and throws are $450 (from ~$1000), sheets can be found for $100 (hotel collection w/ black line emboidery), sheet sets for $190. The sheet sets were of this awesome check pattern on smooth white cotton, but it's "European fashion", which means 2 flat sheets + 2 pillowcases. In the end I had to walk away because I need a fitted sheet. There is a good selection of Euro and boudoir pillowcases and shams, a few for King pillows, but none for your standard size pillow.

If you are looking for table linen, the selection is slim: some ivory or mint green table cloths, mint napkins ($5/each), and white hotel-ish placemats ($10/each).

Bath sheets are $40 (as usual), but styles were a bit sparser this time around. There were ivory and white fluffy towels, and, for reasons unknown to me, bright pink. They also had 'couture' towels of light blue and a nice mocha. Very few hand towels, though.

Robes seemed cheaper than in the past. The basic white terry or velour robe is $50, the velour with black piping is $70, and they had men's 'spa' robes for $150. They are SO luxurious, and I stared at them longingly, temporarily wishing I was a man.

Snag a pink silk nightie or nightgowns on fire-sale at $100, or a mens cotton PJ set for $75 (sizes S and XL left). A small assortment of leather house slippers and house moccasins line the North wall for $100 each. Unfortunately the sizes were fairly limited to 37/38 for women and 42 for men.

Overall this is a fabulous place to shop for holiday and housewarming gifts. Everyone appreciates a luxurious set of towels or a fluffy robe. I even got my sister a terry cloth hair turban for $10. I'm all set.

5 comments:

  1. I'm European and hate fitted sheets. I don't see the point at all. It's good to know Frette don't bother with fitted sheets. Try the flat ones--you won't go back. Fitted sheets never quite fit--flat ones always do.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous11/18/2008

    Thanks for the input. I think I'm just afraid to take the plunge, especially since my mattress is so thick-- what if it doesn't wrap around with enough tucked under to prevent it from coming undone while I sleep?!

    Next time I'll be brave :)

    (Frette does make some fitted sheets, though, for the Hotel Collection.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just buy bigger sheets if that's the case. You can also do what we call "hospital corners" and make the sheets as taught or loose as you want. I am a total sheet junkie, as well as a shopping/sales addict, which is one reason why I love your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous11/18/2008

    I am going to need you to draw me a diagram on how to do 'hospital corners'! I'm intrigued.

    I'm so happy you like my blog! Thanks for letting me know :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just FYI, Soiffer Haskin (the ppl having the upcoming Bulgari sale and having the current Lambertson Truex sale) is having a Frette sale Dec. 7-11 with up to 80% off. So if anyone is missing out on things there's another chance!

    ReplyDelete

Please no profanity or spam :). I monitor CLOSELY and all spam WILL BE DELETED.