Sunday, February 21, 2010

Filene's Basement on 6th Ave is closing

Filene's Basement on 6th Ave and 18th St (downstairs from T.J. Maxx and Bed Bath and Beyond) is closing, and it is well underway. I just happened to find out today as I went into BB&B to get some lightbulbs. Discounts store-wide are 60-80% off, but the store is pretty barren. Don't waste a thought on the remnant clothing or 5 pairs of shoes. However, if you like jewelry, you should take a look. A lot of blingy fun gem jewelry is pretty reasonably priced now.

I saw large onyx and diamond earrings for $439, the matching onyx-only pendant for $139, and lots of pieces with little diamonds for under $299. They are also taking an additional 20% off prices on fine jewelry. I couldn't walk away from a 7-7.5MM AAA Akoya pearl bracelet which came out to $159 ('retail' $699), although I did leave behind a 22" single-strand AAA Akoya pearl necklace which was $438 ('retail' $18xx). It was just a bit too long for me. I'm not sure what to make of their 'retail' prices, or put too much stock in the 'AAA' rating but it seemed like a good deal.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please no profanity or spam :). I monitor CLOSELY and all spam WILL BE DELETED.